Shocking! 10 foods that we eat everyday that are actually can be poisonous!
Millions of us eat this vegetable every day but eat the wrong kind and it could turn your day into a very bad one indeed. Symptoms vary from slight gastrointestinal discomfort to the worst case scenario of death!
Around 5% of mushrooms varieties are toxic and the most poisonous is the death cap mushroom.
Thankfully humans only eat the stalk of the rhubarb. This is because the green leaves contain a high amount of oxalate acid. If large quantities of the leaves are ingested it can give you kidney stones and even kill you if you eat enough of it.
This became a problem during World War 1 when rhubarb leaves were recommended as a substitute for other vegetables that were not available.
8. Kidney Beans
These little fellows contain large quantities of the toxin Lectin. make sure to pre wash and always ensure they are fully cooked. Apparently consuming just 3 uncooked kidney beans could leave you with severe vomiting and diarrhea.
The pips of the apple contain cyanide which if eaten in very large quantities can lead to headache, dizziness, confusion, anxiety and vomiting.
The green parts of the tomato plant such as the leaves, stems and unripe fruit, contain a toxin called Tomatine.
The humble potato! The world’s fourth-largest food crop, which first entered our history books around the 16th century.
The stems and leaves of the potato contain a poison called Solanine, and although rare potato poisoning does happen from time to time.
The popular cherry which comes from the same family as plums, apricots and peaches, which all contain highly poisonous compounds in their leaves and seeds.
The seed of the cherry should be avoided because even when the stone is just slightly injured it produces hydrogen cyanide. So make sure you dont suck or chew on the cherry stone!
3. Brazil Nuts
brazil nuts contain a toxin called Selenium. large quantities of this nut can be poisonous to our bodies and is recommended to limit eating up to 3 a day
Nutmeg in low doses produces no effect on us however in large doses it has a psychoactive effects. In freshly ground form Nutmeg and in large quantities it has a hallucinogenic effect on us which apparently leads to a sense of impending doom
1. Puffer Fish
This famous japanese delicacy is so severe it can lead to paralysis and death. Japanese chefs have train to up to 2-3 years in order to be able to prepare it correctly